An easier way to make sloppy joes healthier is to add in more veggies and beans to cut some of the red meat, but without losing any of the taste. Here’s a healthier recipe to make delicious sloppy joes.
1. Start by preheating a broiler.
2. Next take a large nonstick skillet and heat it up over a medium-high heat. While the pan is heating up, grate the carrot. Then add in the carrot, the beef, and onion to pan. Cook the mixture for six minutes. At that point the beef should be browned and the vegetables should be tender. Then add in the garlic powder, chili powder, and the pepper and cook the mixture for 1 minute.
3. Next combine together 1/4 cup of the ketchup and the garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste in a bowl. Then add this mixture of ketchup to the pan and stir it all until it evenly coats the mixture of the beef mixture. The let it simmer for five minutes and by that time it should be thickened.
4. While you’re waiting for the sauce to thicken, move on to arranging the buns with their cut side up on the a baking sheet. Then broil them for about two minutes or until they are lightly toasted.
5. Then you are ready to serve the food, so put about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture onto each bun half, top as desired, and close with the other bun half.